A key concept this textbook explores is the reign of chaos, the actual facts about chaotic weather during the dry, cool periods known as ice ages. It is no accident that the entire history of human civilization took place within a wet / warm period. In geological terms these favorable climate cycles occur about 10% of the time. The other 90% of the time consistent agriculture is nearly impossible. If you have any desire to explore climate science, begin here.
There are several other Grisham novels that may be his best, but this first one is near the top of the list. Harvard law school grad Mitch accepts a job offer that sounds too good to be true and it is. If you get through half the story before you fall asleep, you’ll find a way to stay awake for the rest. The twists just keep coming.
The story begins with a wild pizza delivery ride, then turns left on every page. Stephenson’s first blockbuster novel is a page turning thriller that never slows down. At publication, comparisons were made to William Gibson and Thomas Pynchon. While it’s true that Stephenson stands on their shoulders, his voice is unique and captivating.
A solid thriller from a top idea-driven writer. The story revolves around a massive online interactive game with hackers, gamers, and bad guys both inside and outside of the game environment. The action proceeds at breakneck pace and the characters keep you invested in the plot from start to finish.
After the moon blows up, what next? Thought-provoking novel about disaster and long-term survival. A lot of imagination went into the setting and plot, it leaves you wishing this long story was twice as long.
Secret codes, hot babes, and a whole lot of gold. Follow the adventures of the Waterhouse and Shaftoe families from WW2 to the present day world of the internet. A page-turning thriller with enough twists to keep you guessing until the end.
Nell survives Shanghai, a city of walled gardens. A software engineer builds “A Young Lady’s Illustrated Primer” and the story takes off. A wild collection of tribes navigate a world of nanobot frenzy and outright war. The mice march on. Stephenson’s best.